Saturday, 6 October 2007

Jazz...well you can call it that


Download all tracks here - so tight they're ziplocked

Hip Hop has had a long and sometimes fruitful relationship with Jazz. But Jazz is like Marmite, and so is Jazz Rap. I don't even know much about either genres, simply because I have greater musical interests. For me, Jazz is music to relax to. One of the most relaxing things about it is that when listening I don't have the urge to know who it's by, what it's called, when it was released or where I can buy it. I just listen to it and if I never hear it again it's OK. I don't dislike it, I'm just not obsessed or even that interested.

Rap and Hip Hop, on the other hand, compel me to do the exact opposite: I hear it and regardless of quality, I want to know more. To be honest, this constant striving to hear more music and to know more about it is quite depressing. I have to tell myself that loving music isn't just about hearing something new or amassing great quantities of mp3s, CDs or Vinyls. I have to remind myself that I should be thankful for all the music I already own, love and know about. There's no way I'll ever hear it all anyway and life is not a competition to amass music or knowledge either.

So when I do hear something that I like but am not overly obsessed with then it's quite refreshing, and that's why I'm posting this now. Having said what I have, this post (and for that matter, this blog) shouldn't exist but no matter how tiresome I find myself at times, I'm still me and I still do these things.

The tracks I've chosen to post today are all Jazz Rap related. You may enjoy listening to them without bothering to find out more, you may enjoy them so much that you do want more but in the spirit of this post I'm not going to say much about the tracks or the artists.

Soweto Kinch is Birmingham's trendiest (only?) fad. He is trained in the art of saxophoning (actual terminology) and also happens to have the gift of the gab.
Soweto Kinch - Ridez
Soweto Kinch - Expansion

Guru of Gang Starr has put together some excellent tracks with various Jazz and Rap stars. Pick up a Jazzmatazz album to sample his work (or download these to have a listen).

Jazzmatazz - State of Clarity
Jazzmatazz - Living Legend

Jegsy Dodd is a scouser who is into spoken word; he's quite thought provoking.

Jegsy Dodd & The Original Sinners - The Day the World Stopped Working
Jegsy Dodd & The Sons of Harry Cross - 8000 Miles Away

US3 do a nice line in Jazz Rap, what they do is sample Blue Note recordings and then have people rap over the results.

US3 - Cantaloop (Flip Fantasia)

Digable Planets and A Tribe Called Quest were doing their thing in the 90's with jazzy samples and rapping and it all sounded pretty nice.
Digable Planets - Cool Like That
A Tribe Called Quest - Jazz (We've Got)

7 comments:

Al said...

I think you'll find that Soweto Kinch is not trained in the art of blowing trumpet: he's an MC and an award winning saxophonist. It's Abram Wilson on trumpet.

Aidan said...

Just was checking that people actaully read this...no seriously, I'm not one of those annoying teachers (I am actually)...Thanks Al, I did find that he is an award winning saxophonist, nice one.

It does go to show though doesn't it? I proved my point inadvertently.

wow gold said...

With a wow goldstaff, you will wow goldfind you canbuy wow gold use 'Autocasting' buy wow goldoptions. Basically, cheap wow gold this lets you cheap wow goldchoose a spell wow power levelingto continually wow power levelingcast. As long power levelingas you wield power leveling supply runs out.

chenlu said...

runescape money
runescape gold
runescape money
runescape gold
buy runescape gold buy runescape money runescape items
runescape accounts
runescape gp
runescape money
runescape power leveling
runescape money
runescape gold
dofus kamas
cheap runescape money
cheap runescape gold
Guild Wars Gold
buy Guild Wars Gold
lotro gold
buy lotro gold
lotro gold
buy lotro gold
lotro gold
buy lotro gold

Hellgate Palladium
Hellgate London Palladium
Hellgate money
Tabula Rasa gold tabula rasa money
Tabula Rasa Credit
Tabula Rasa Credits
Hellgate gold
Hellgate London gold
wow power leveling
wow powerleveling
Warcraft PowerLeveling
Warcraft Power Leveling
World of Warcraft PowerLeveling World of Warcraft Power Leveling runescape power leveling
runescape powerleveling
eve isk
eve online isk
eve isk
eve online isk
tibia gold
Fiesta Silver
Fiesta Gold
Age of Conan Gold
buy Age of Conan Gold
aoc gold

呼吸机
无创呼吸机
家用呼吸机
呼吸机
家用呼吸机
美国呼吸机
篮球培训
篮球培训班
篮球夏令营
china tour
beijing tour
beijing travel
china tour
tibet tour
tibet travel
computer monitoring software
employee monitoring

yiwu said...

Let us go to Yiwu city to buy China wholesale products at lowest wholesale price.Browse Alphabetically: A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z,0-9

Anonymous said...

WoW shares many wow gold of its features with previously launched games. Essentially, you battle with Cheapest wow gold monsters and traverse the countryside, by yourself or as a buy cheap wow gold team, find challenging tasks, and go on to higher Cheap Wow Gold levels as you gain skill and experience. In the course of your journey, you will be gaining new powers that are increased as your skill rating goes up. All the same, in terms of its features and quality, that is a ture stroy for this.WoW is far ahead of all other games of the genre the wow power leveling game undoubtedly is in a league of its own and cheapest wow gold playing it is another experience altogether.
Even though WoW is a wow gold cheap rather complicated game, the controls and interface are done in buy warhammer gold such a way that you don't feel the complexity. A good feature of the game is that it buy wow items does not put off people with lengthy manuals. The instructions cannot be simpler and the pop up tips can help you start playing the game World Of Warcraft Gold immediately. If on the other hand, you need a detailed manual, the instructions are there for you to access. Buy wow gold in this site,good for you ,WoW Gold, BUY WOW GOLD.

wow-xu said...

MMORPG Games are alluring for everybody, especially for men and boys. Play World of Warcraft, but not have WoW Gold, it’s just a headache. Because World of Warcraft Gold is a needed. At the same time, WoW Power Leveling is also important, It could be got from Cheap WoW Gold. There is a interesting fact. Many WoW players like wear jordan shoes or basketball shoes , and with the tiffany jewelry. It’s just the interest ing thing in the game world.