Wednesday 18 July 2007

HHC Top 100 rap singles 70-61 *updated*

#69. Kurtis Blow - The Breaks
Only the zshare links work on this post now, I know it takes a few more clicks but for free classic rap it's worth it isn't it?

The first three instalments have made a minor ripple in the blogging pond and I’m feeling quite pleased to know that people are appreciating this…but come on party people, drop a comment; it’s not hard to do – if someone gives you something you say thank you, right? Correct etiquette. Miniature rant over…let’s get on with it.

70. Jeru the Damaja – Come Clean (zshare)– 1994 – ‘The Sun Rises in the East’ (Buy here)
Another nod inducing mid 90’s affair here but with a peculiar spacious percussive beat. Contains slightly curious lyrics: “I blow up spots like the World Trade Centre”. Can anyone explain that to me please? I may just be being really ignorant.

69. Kurtis Blow – The Breaks (zshare) – 1979 – ‘The Breaks’ (Buy the 'Best of' here)
Classic Hip Hop party track with all the essential crowd involving elements such as saying ho and waving hands. Kurtis outlines a few cringe inducing situations and exitedly informs us that those are ‘The Breaks’, knowledge is born.

68. Man Parrish - Hip Hop Be Bop (zshare) – 1982 – ‘Hip Hop Be Bop (Don’t Stop)’ (Buy here)
This IS electro. A rambling but steadily changing collection of synthy basses and blips accompanied by the obligatory cowbells and claps make this somewhat akin to a delicious 3 course meal.

67. T La Rock – Breaking Bells (zshare)– 1986
Samples James Brown and contains rhymes about being superior; yup, it’s Hip Hop alright.

66. Nas – Represent (zshare) - 1994 – ‘Illmatic’ (Buy here)
Hands up who loves mid 90’s Hippedy Hop…mine were up but are down again so I can continue typing. I’m getting tired of writing about nodding my head, and those who have read all of this series will be tired of reading about it but I’m not tired of actually nodding my head. Everyone knows this is classic fare from a certified classic album so if you don’t have it, buy it! (And get me a copy too, track 1 is scratched on mine!)

65. Dr Dre – Still DRE (zshare) – 2000 – ‘2001’ (Buy here)
2000 seemed the perfect year for Dre to change the game again, it must of seemed that way to him too ‘cause that’s exactly what he did. Remember any other Hip Hop that came out that year? Or did it fall under the shadow of the good doctor?

64. LL Cool J – Going back to Cali (zshare)– 1988 – ‘Walking with a Panther’ (Buy here)

63. Audio Two – Top Billin’ (zshare)– 1988 – 'What More Can I Say' (Buy here)
Out of all the Hip Hop tracks I’ve ever heard I think this must be the most sampled/bitten/quoted by other rappers. Classic snippets include: “Down the road, to the bank”, “[insert name] is Chillin’…”, “Stop schemin’ and lookin’ hard”, “That’s how it is, you can ask…”, “What more can I say” etcetera. Even if you’ve never heard this song it will sound familiar to you if you’ve listened to a handful of rap albums.

62. Beastie Boys – Hold it now, Hit it (zshare)– 1986 – 'Licensed to Ill' (Buy here)
Have an Old Skool party with this track, in fact, have an Old Skool party with the whole album. And click on the Beastie Boys tag for my other posts on them!

61. Mobb Deep – Shook Ones pt. II (zshare)– 1995 – 'The Infamous' (Buy here)
The street anthem that everyone and their goldfish know thanks to Eminem and 8 Mile.

New readers: You may have guessed that there are a few more instalments before this, check them out here, here and here – or click on the HHC Top 100 rap singles label to see them all in sequence. See you next time when we reach the half way point.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some interesting choices here. Can't wait to see the rest.

Anonymous said...

Who's MOBB DEEP

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed all of these songs...brings me back to the day when they were new. Well most of them, some were before my time!

ANS said...

Ahahaha - Gardner, you sly old fox, commenting on my blog. Who's Mobb Deep...yeah thanks for reminding me of that. Me and Garnder saw that song performed LIVE! (By Mobb Deep of course!)

Anonymous said...

Haha yeah was a cracking night. Loving the list man, hope the Beatnuts - No Escapin' this is gonna be on this, will not be happy otherwise

Anonymous said...

there was a terrorist bomb explosion in the world trade center in 1993. Biggie references it to in "Juicy" when he says "blow up like the world trade"

ANS said...

Ah right! I knew that I'd heard other references and now you tell me it's in 'Juicy' I remember that. Otherwise seems quite prophetic!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the list. I appreciate the hard work, but are we gonna see any booty music?

ANS said...

Are we going to see any 'booty music'? Good question; wait and see. No, I can pretty much guarantee we're not, although I am semi-unsure of exactly what can be called 'booty music'.

ANS said...

Hang on...as in Miami Bass type music? Well that's a definite no, in my opinion it's a bit of a niche and not very universally listened to for it to make a top 100 list.

AaronM said...

Classic ish. Great pics, especially that T La Rock.
I think most people haven't heard anything by him that isn't "It's Yours", myself included.