Monday 18 October 2010

'The Lion Goes From Strength To Strength (No Compromise)' - Blade (re-issue review)

In some ways, this review (or feature?), is easy to write. In others it's more difficult.

The easy bit is this: It's undeniable that the music contained is classic material and has had great bearing on UK Hip Hop's progression. Many of you will know the music from its release in 1993 and therefore don't need me to dissect it in the usual manner - all you'll need to decide is whether or not you need a remastered, CD version of this brilliant album. For those of you who don't know the music but consider yourself to be a UK Hip Hop fan, then you just need to trust me, all the people who bought this on vinyl at its original release and the good folk over at Original Dope, that this is something you need to have.

The difficult bit is this: This is a re-release and thousands of people before me have formed an opinion on the music contained within this double-disc CD with extra liner notes. This leaves me with very little to actually add without putting my own opinions on a pedestal. What I can say is that the price is great, the presentation is excellent, the included booklet, written by Blade himself, is a fascinating read and the sound quality is second to none (way better than the old vinyl rips!).

All in all, I hope I've given you just cause to buy this release. The re-issue of Blade's 'The Lion Goes From Strength To Strength (No Compromise)' is available now at Original Dope for £11.99 plus postage (which is 99p).

No comments: