Wednesday 27 October 2010

'You Need This Music' - Nottz (review)

Before I start, I'll just say that I like this album. I really like this album.

It's obvious that Nottz and Black Milk are mates (BM features on the LP on 'Blast That'), and with Black Milk's recent album employing heavy live drums, kicking of 'You Need This Music' with a track featuring Travis Barker makes so much sense. The aforementioned 'Blast That' will make your head nod more than 99% of the Hip Hop out there this year. The heavily distorted electric guitar sounds absolutely at home too on this beat.

'Shine So Brite' seems to be a tribute to Dilla and it's this track that first really proves that Nottz is an engaging and entertaining rapper. I guess it's this track that some would also cite as proof that Nottz is like Kanye. Nottz is like Kanye, to a certain extent. He can produce, really well, and he can rap - better than Kanye could ever dream of rapping, yet he still has that mass appeal.

I love 'I Do It For Yawl' (the beat reminds me of 'Amores Como El Nuestro', but I guess it's some other sample) and Little Brother and Kardinal Offishall revive Eminem's concept of rapping letters from fans - thumbs up. 'A Dream Come True' is just a joy to listen to as Nottz creates a story featuring all your favourite dead black musicians over a laid-back and lazily happy beat. 'I Still Love You' featuring Mayor Hawthorn is the perfect Hip Hop love song.

Asher Roth comes really correct on 'Dontcha Wanna Be (My Neighbor)' (video is here), as does Colin Munroe on the chorus. This a really quirky track, with definite radio play-ability. There are other tracks featuring Snoop Dogg and Royce Da 5'9 and Joell Ortiz before the album closes with the soothing Bilal featuring track 'Right Here' on which Nottz re-asserts his lyricism as he prays out loud over his own heavenly production.


No comments: