Friday 27 February 2009

Interview with Soup and Marc7 (ex-Jurassic 5) of Portable Payback

"Soup and I are about to pull a Ghostface and Raekwon on everybody that’s sleeping on us."

Those of you who know me well will know that ever since 'Concrete Schoolyard' I've been a fan of Jurassic 5. So when a track dropped into my inbox by two of the J5 MCs I was pretty thrilled. When I reviewed it and had a personal email back I was even more thrilled. So I sorted out a quick interview with Marc7 and Soup to talk about their new project, the group Portable Payback:

Certified Banger: What’s up Portable Payback?! Thanks for reaching out to me! I’m pretty excited about the project you two have got going on. Let’s talk about it: For those who don’t know; who are you and who were you?!

M: I’m Marc 7 formerly of Jurassic 5
S: I’m Zaakir aka Soup

CB:And what’s in the name Portable Payback? Where did that come from? Is it anything to do with James Brown?

S: Sev came up with the name and I like the fact that it has no hold to it… meaning we can go wherever… It's portable. And I think ALL hip hop has something to do with James Brown.
M: The name came to me one day when I was in the kitchen talking to my wife, I was watching a commercial that mentioned the word “PAYBACK” and I said to myself, “Portable Payback, that’s the name of the group”.




No comments: