Wednesday 21 March 2007

This week's CD

Most weeks I make a journey to Birmingham and back, which gives me two and a half hours each way to listen to music uninterrupted. Most weeks I make a new CD of downloads or songs I haven't listened to for a while that I love and sometimes I pick out CDs that I just haven't listened to much. Since these mix CDs are a pretty accurate record of what I am listening to currently, I thought I'd put them on here for others to (possibly) enjoy.


RJD2 - Beyond the beyond
Hmmm...if you know RJD2 then you'll know this is typical him: a Hip Hopish broken beat with musical melodies and sweet voices singing. No rapping - Aceyalone ain't here on this one, although do check that collab out.

DJ Vadim - I got to Rock ft. Zion
Nice beat, nice laid back westcoast flows. Good Hip Hop.

!!! - Heart of hearts (The brothers mix)
Dirty funky electro beats... it's a good job that it's long, cos I want as much of it as possible! Oh, and you probably know, but it's pronounced 'chk chk chk', not 'that band with three exclamation marks'.

Leo Roy - Pound for Pound
Funky.

Gruff Rhys - Gyrru Gyrru Gyrru
Singer from Super Furry Animals makes a fun song in another language that you have to sing along to.

Jason Mraz - Wordplay
Don't know who this fella is but I like this song and what it's all about. You can't go wrong without a few oohs and ahhs, but Kaiser Chiefs take note: you can overuse them!

Hadouken! - That boy that girl
Zane Lowe played this as my car radio turned on when I took a CD out and I carried on listening. Heard it played at Club NME a week later. I like the song and the sentiment.

Maximo Park - Our Velocity
Great band keeping it real with their accents. A more mature song from the Geordie band's new album.

The Notorious BIG - Party and Bullshit (Ratatat remix)
"I was a terror since the public school era..." Ten years this month since 25 year old Biggie was shot. His legend does live on, without wanting to sound too melodramatic. Great remix from Ratatat - check out their other stuff for more of the same (minus Biggie lyrics).

Just Jack - glory days
Saw Just Jack live a few years ago supporting French Hip Hop group Saian Supa Crew. He had a live band and his 'The Outer Marker' material impressed me so much I bought the CD on the night. Although a bit more radio friendly now, this reminds me why I liked him first.

Calvin Harris - acceptable in the 80s
Bit of Radio fodder here, but ear pleasing nonetheless. Listen to it now before you hear it so many times that you hate it. I don't listen to the radio so I'm OK.

The Shins- A comet appears
A nice way to finish off the CD.

Now I'm off to burn myself a new version of this CD, as I just scratched mine by using a sharp permanent pen. Grrr.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Bang! And the tune is certified! Nice work laddo, i've spent all afternoon figuring and configuring my blog. The first proper post is up. Check it art.