Friday 31 October 2008

'Through The Storm' - Silver (single review)

Now this track has been getting good reviews, so they won’t mind if I lay into it.

The dramatic opening flops into a mismatched stuttery beat after 12 seconds and soon after follow the club synths and auto-tune vocals. And no, this isn’t a track from Lil’ Wayne or Kanye West’s latest LP, it’s the single from Silver produced by Sermstyle. The beat was apparently shopped to major labels in the states – nothing to boast about really; that your track is a reject before ever hitting the shelves.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a bad track, but in a take it/leave it situation, the latter would be my decision. Amongst all the other stuff released this year, this does not hold up. Give me Sway’s album any day.

And that is what Silver appears to be - a good MC, not a great MC. He does describe adequately, using a rather American vernacular (not accent), his ‘grind’ and has a cheeky pop at poppy lyrics. Imitation may be the best form of flattery but in Silver’s case mimicry makes it all the more evident he wishes it was him who’d had a hit with ‘Umbrella’.

I can’t recommend this track but if I hear better from him I’ll let you know. I won’t give up on Silver yet.

No comments: