Saturday 11 August 2007

50 vs. Kanye

Haha, look at his face!

Don't worry party peeps, the next installment of the top 100 is ready but due to me not having the internet any more at home (I deleted my username and password by accident) and the fact that I've been up to other things (like becoming 23 today) I haven't posted it yet. Watch this space over the next couple of days.

One thing I did find out today (via http://www.bbc.co.uk/) was that 50 Cent has vowed to quit recording as a solo artist if Kanye outsells him on September the 11th. Well after a quick shufty on the interline I've procured these figures to help us think about this:

Kanye's 'Late Registration' debuted at #1, selling over 900,000 copies in its first week.

50's 'The Massacre' reached number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 and the UK Albums Chart and sold 1.14 million copies in its first four days of release, making it the sixth fastest-selling album since SoundScan began tracking sales data in 1991.

Hmm so by those accounts 50 will win anyway? But...

In its first week of release, 'Get Rich or Die Tryin' (50's first album proper) sold 872,000 records making it the second highest week of sales of any rap album in history.

Kanye's 'The College Dropout' sold 440,000 copies in the first week of its release.

so... Fiddy still wins. but who knows, have the tables turned? I probably wont be buying either of them anyway (partly due to Hype Machine and already leaked songs from both and partly because I'd rather spend my money more wisely) but I will be interested to see the outcome of this confident boast.

I might as well say this now whilst we're on the subject: I respect both rappers for what they do. 50 Cent is a business machine and let's face it, who amongst us wouldn't do what he has half the chance and Kanye is one of today's most innovative and accesible producers. Also 50 is a showman, he put's on an awesome gig and my free ticket to the show was well worth it with Mobb Deep, MOP and Ma$e being thrown in as well, oh, and the Mitchell Brothers (who banged) and the rest of the G Unit monkeys.

Anyway, this war of the ego's should be interesting. My money's on 50 but I sit on the fence as to who I want to win the first day's sales war.

No comments: