Tuesday 10 August 2010

'Digmund Freud EP' - Mystro (review)

Having heard a great deal of Mystro's back catalogue, his latest single 'Around My Way', some of his new tracks live and having interviewed him about his forthcoming material I was suitably excited about this release - the 'Digmund Freud EP'. I haven't been disappointed.

The aforementioned 'Around My Way' produced by DJ Swerve kicks things off in fine, comedic style - Mystro being the king of laid back punchlines and all. DJ Flip (most notably known in the UK scene for producing Skinnyman's 'Council Estate of Mind') takes over on production for the next 6 tracks. To quote Mystro himself on this EP would probably be best, 'cause he ain't lying: "I've got a track called 'Don’t Worry' – that's probably the track that got it going with the style of what I wanted to do. The chorus is like 'If it ain't life or death, don't worry about it'. – that's the message of the whole ‘Digmund Freud’ thing." The rest of the EP really does fit around this in style so a happy, relaxed and positive time is to be had by all with this release.

The track that lyrically blew me away when I heard it live was the closing tune 'Blue Planet' produced by Jehst. Mystro demonstrates his knowledge of sea life whilst socially commenting on the way we're living here in Britain - this is concept rap done to perfection.

The 'Digmund Freud EP' will be released on Self Destruct Music/Don't Bizznizz on 13th Septemeber 2010. Look out for it - another cracking release from Mystro.



No comments: