Friday 16 January 2009

'With You' ft. Mutya Buena - Ashley Walters (single review)

Ashley Walters featuring Mutya Buena? I’m not gonna like that am I?! Well actually, I was pleasantly surprised. Whilst I wouldn’t consider myself a fan of either artists, I approached this with nigh on a closed mind and it managed to prise the gates to my psyche open enough to squeeze its way in.

It’s Swindle’s production that really does it for me here – the piano-led, modern gentle funk flavoured backing drew me in. Ashley is a skilled writer and his delivery is extremely on point.

Beyond the typical boy/girl playoff this actually has a bearable sentiment – one usually sickeningly sweetened by everyday popsters (like Sugababes!). Ashley has a mature and positive outlook on relationships and fatherhood and on a serious note; it’s one that many people need to hear.

‘With You’ is released on the 18th Januray on download and it’s CD release date is the 25th. ‘With You’ is taken from ‘The Album’ which is due for release on February 23rd on Abstract Urban.

No comments: